As a research engineer/ICT technician, you will work on the expansion of the current monitoring network at the islands of Saba and St. Eustatius. This includes the acquisition and testing of power and communication systems prior to deployment, troubleshooting of these systems during deployment and setting up an assessment of data quality and stability.
The islands of Saba and St. Eustatius in the Caribbean host a monitoring network currently consisting of 7 seismometers, 4 continuous GNSS receivers and temperature measurements. In the coming years expansion of this network is envisioned especially to locations where no power nor cellular reception is available. You will help design, deploy and maintain these stand-alone monitoring stations. Furthermore, you will design a system which can assess the data quality and stability remotely. You will create a database to store, access the data, develop (software) tools to visualise them and develop products to service stakeholders. You have affinity with geophysics and a natural curiosity for the goals of the project. You understand the importance of the correct and accurate installation of scientific equipment and have an eye for detail. Experience with database and product development is an advantage.
What we offer
- Be part of an internationally recognized team of earth scientists.
- A diverse set of tasks both in the office and in the field, and interaction with stakeholders.
- The opportunity to interact and collaborate within a multidisciplinary environment.
- Opportunities for personal development and education.
- Master or bachelor degree in Electronics, Engineering or similar, with a keen interest in geophysics
- You have a technical background and experience in designing and/or setting up scientific equipment and are able to solve electrical and mechanical challenges.
- You have experience setting up and troubleshooting standard TLS, power, and communications systems.
- You have experience with database management and you can create (software) tools for visualisation and products.
- You are willing and able to conduct fieldwork (including to the special municipalities of Saba and St. Eustatius).
- You are a team player, are focussed on results, have a pro-active attitude and are capable of readjusting when necessary to guarantee progress.
- You are sharp on your personal development and naturally share you knowledge with colleagues.
- Salarisniveau schaal 10, schaal 11
- Maandsalaris Min €2.737 – Max. €5.003 (bruto)
- Dienstverband Arbeidsovereenkomst voor bepaalde tijd
- Contractduur 2 jaar
- Minimaal aantal uren per week 36
- Maximaal aantal uren per week 36
Other conditions of employement
In addition to your salary, you will receive an Individual Budget (IKB). The IKB consists of funds (16.37% of your gross annual salary) and time. With the IKB, you make choices that are right for you, and you can decide on some of your employment conditions yourself. For example, you could opt to receive part of your monthly salary at a date of your choosing. You could also use the budget to purchase additional leave, or vice versa, or spend it on tax-efficient purchases. The Government of the Netherlands strongly values personal growth and career development and offers a wide range of options to achieve that. The fringe benefits include various study facilities, company fitness, a full compensation of your public transport expenses for your commute and partially paid parental leave.
This is a temporary position for 2 years.
Acquisition is not appreciated.
Meer over de functiegroep Onderzoeksmedewerker
Door het Functiegebouw Rijk worden medewerkers en leidinggevenden geholpen bij het maken van resultaat- en ontwikkelafspraken in functioneringsgesprekken en krijgt men inzicht in de loopbaanmogelijkheden binnen de Rijksoverheid.
Meer over jouw toekomstige afdeling
The R&D Department of Seismology and Acoustics (R&DSA) conducts observations and research into the cause and impact of earthquakes and other seismo-acoustic sources such as volcanoes and nuclear test explosions. On the basis of this, R&DSA advises a broad (international) public.
R&DSA operates a large seismo-acoustic network in the Netherlands and a GNSS-seismic network in the Caribbean Netherlands. Furthermore, R&DSA has access to international observational networks. These observations form the basis for data-driven research which results in advices to our stakeholders.
Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI), Ministry of Infrastructure and Watermanagement
The Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI) advises on and warns society about reducing risks with atmospheric or seismic origins. KNMI develops high-quality knowledge, carries out observations and translates them into products and services that reduce safety risks, contribute to a sustainable society and promote economic opportunities. KNMI aims to provide reliable information and is an independent authority in the field of weather, climate, air quality, seismology and other geophysical phenomena.
The Ministry of Infrastructure and Watermanagement is committed to improving quality of life, access and mobility in a clean, safe and sustainable environment. The Ministry strives to create an efficient network of roads, railways, waterways and airways, effective water management to protect against flooding, and improved air and water quality.
Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI), Ministry of Infrastructure and Watermanagement nodigt je uit op hun site te solliciteren. Via onderstaande knop verlaat je deze site ga je direct naar het sollicitatieformulier. Het Rijk hecht waarde aan een diverse en inclusieve organisatie. Werken in divers samengestelde teams maakt ons effectiever, innovatiever en het werk leuker. Eenieder wordt daarom uitgenodigd te solliciteren.
Senior scientific assistant preparedness and response (virology)
- Standplaats Bilthoven
- Uren per week 32-36
- Salarisniveau schaal 12
- Reageren voor 30 november
- Dienstverband Tijdelijke aanstelling / Arbeidsovereenkomst voor bepaalde tijd